My purpose in writing this blog is to pass on tips, information, suggestions, about photography and Nikon equipment that I have learned in the last 44 years. I have been involved with photography since 1967 when I was in the USAF at Bitburg Air Base in W. Germany. I have processed B&W, color slide film, and came kicking and screaming into the digital age. I have used Nikon cameras and lenses since 1985 and currently use a D3s and D200 and a variety of lenses.
Tuesday, July 6, 2010
"Repeat what you saw.": Repeating Patterns in Composition
Patterns that repeat themselves are found in man-made as well as nature and provide the photographer a strong composition subject. Patterns can give the viewer the impression of size and large numbers. This is where "filling the frame" really give impact to your photograph.
The Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace is an example of repeating patterns. You really have to zoom in and omit all other distracting elements. The photograph catches the soldiers in perfect step giving a sense of rhythm and harmony.
The photo of Alaska ferns is an example of nature's repeating patterns that we sometimes over look. They are in fact, found everywhere if are willing to explore potential subjects from a variety of angles.
To isolate the repeating patterns you need to fill the frame completely by moving in closer to the subject or zooming in with the lens. You exclude anything that is not part of your patterned subject. You can further isolate the subject by restricting the depth of field whereas the subject is in focus and the background is out of focus. This is what I did in the photo of the coreopsis flowers.
In his book Learning to See Creatively, photographer Bryan Peterson observes: "Whatever emotional response a single design element arouses is multiplied when it is repeated in a pattern."
Whenever you go out with camera and determined to take some really good photographs with strong compositions, look for the repeating patterns in nature as well as man-made structures.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment