Before reading and studying professional photographers and their composition techniques and before attending a photo class on composition at the Houston Police Academy, I used to think I needed to square everything in the picture, get the side view and make sure all the lines are parallel, include everything. Then I learned about diagonals and how the eye sees a photograph.
Experts tell us that when a person looks at a photograph they start at the bottom and go to the opposite corner. The eye sweeps across diagonally. Diagonal compositions use this physiological trait to catch the eye's normal path by placing the subject along that line or lines.
The easiest way to create diagonals is simply by tilting your camera like I did with this paintbrush. This is an easy method when photographing flowers and you want to try something different.
Diagonal lines give a static image a dynamic feel. It may be still but it seems like it's moving.
Texans know this as the San Jacinto Monument. It was built to commemorate the Battle of San Jacinto. It is similar in appearance to the Washington Monument in D.C., however, it is a little taller. The photo is how most people see this landmark.
I wanted to see if I could make a diagonal from such a high structure. It can be done. I got more comments on the diagonal of the San Jacinto Monument than the straight one.
As our Princess ship docked in Grand Turk next to the Oasis of the Sea and we began to walk off the ship, I knew exactly what composition I wanted. I turned around and asked my wife to stop for a minute. Both ships formed a perfect diagonal ending at the far end of the photograph.
One of my favorite subjects to photograph is shrimp boats. The docks around Kemah, Texas are a great place to find them. The Donnie J was docked under the Hwy 146 bridge. I used a diagonal composition in this photograph.
On a recent visit to Chicago and as the grandchildren were playing in the water between the two tower fountains of Millennium Park, I looked for a place to photograph the mass of children playing. The diagonal composition adds to the perpetual movement of all the children playing.
On a trip to Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, I took some photos of the Parliament Building from directly in front. It was a typical "tourist" photograph. I got up early one morning and walked down to the Parliament Building and found a diagonal composition. This is also using a foreground, middle-ground, and background in the photograph. This will be discussed in landscape photography.
Here is a snap shot of the same subject which most people would be pleased with. My point is don't be satisfied, there's always another angle to look at and point your camera. Don't settle for mediocrity.








No comments:
Post a Comment