When I heard Mat Fowler, HPD Photo Lab, say in a photo composition class at the Houston Police Academy years ago that odd number subjects are a better composition than even number subjects, I thought he was joking. It is true.
When arranging subjects to photograph and you can control how many are within the frame, go with an odd number rather than an even one. Odd numbers beat even numbers on a visual pleasing scale. I am not really sure why this is so, however, many believe it has to do with symmetry, there are even numbers on either side of the odd guy in the middle.
Here are three examples:
Magellanic penguins on Magdalena Island, Chile, Straight of Magellan
Aspen Trunks; Aspen, Colorado
Old Cedar Stump in Bluebonnets, Willow Loop, Texas
Comparing the Same Subjects:
Here are photos of the same type of subject and you be the judge. Which is the better compostion? two windows or three windows





No comments:
Post a Comment