Friday, June 18, 2010

"Exceptional Rule": Exceptions to the "Rule of Thirds"=Reflections

When photographing a vista or landscape you should avoid placing the horizon across the middle of the frame.  However, there are exceptions to that, one being photographing reflections.

I took this photo of Lake Isabella in Lake Houston State Park several years ago.  I had plenty of time to decide how to compose the photograph.  I chose to put the shoreline across the middle of the frame because of the mirror reflection emphasizes the height of the cypress trees.  Moving the lens up and framing a small amount of sky the viewer would not see how tall the trees are.  It's a good question to ask yourself when composing a photograph, "What would the viewer want to see?" 


I once read in Outdoor Photographer magazine, and I forgot the professional photographer who wrote it, "to make better landscape photographs, look for reflections and use them in your composition."

While visiting Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, I photographed the Parliament Building at night, photo at the top.  It is a good photo with some dynamics.  I was not satisfied and so I began to look for a reflection of the building in the water since it is one block from the harbor.  I walked down to the harbor and found an empty boat dock with the building's reflection in the water.

I like the second photo better than the first one.  If you're looking for a good landscape composition and it's available, consider making the reflection of the subject a component of your photograph.

                         Antarctic Sunrise


No comments: